What do I have to recycle?
We encourage everyone to recycle, but there are certain laws that everyone should know and obey. The state of North Carolina set out what can and can’t be thrown away in General Statute 130A-309.10. Here are the things that law bans from landfills and/or incinerators:
- Used oil, Antifreeze, Whole scrap tires, and Motor vehicle oil filters
- Yard trash
- White goods
- Aluminum cans, Beverage containers, and Plastic containers
- Lead-acid batteries
- Wooden pallets and Oyster shells
- Discarded computer equipment and televisions
Added to these requirements are the following items that Durham requires be recycled: steel cans, glass bottles and jars, newspapers, cardboard, and yard waste.
How do I recycle?
Recyclables are picked up by the city once every other week. You can get a blue recycling bin by calling the city (919-560-1200). To find out which day your recycling will be picked up, just visit Durham County Website. Bins should be rolled to the curb by 7:00 am (6:00 am during the summer).
Here’s what to put in the recycling bin:
- Paper: must be clean and dry (no greasy pizza boxes). Shredded papers should be in clear bags.
- Glass & Metal: rinse thoroughly. Light bulbs should be taken to the Hazardous Waste Facility.
- Plastic: rinse thoroughly and remove caps from bottles. Nothing longer than two feet or heavier than 40 pounds.
Other recyclables need to be dropped off at the Waste Disposal & Recycling Transfer Station at 2115 East Club Blvd. Hours are 7:30 am – 4:30 pm M-F, 7:30 am – 12:00 pm Saturdays. More info about electronic recycling can be found here, and this FAQ provides more detail on how to recycle the right way.
The Hazardous Waste Facility is at the same location and accepts batteries, fire extinguishers, light bulbs, cleaners, paints, chemicals, and thermometers (more here).
What We Buy
- Cars and Trucks
- Computers and Parts
- Electric Motors
- Heating and A/C Parts
- Insulated Wire & Cable
- Stainless Steel
To see everything we buy, please visit the Questions page.
There are also great local companies we work with like the Reuse Warehouse who can re-use and re-create products from old household furniture and recyclable materials.
And finally, you can always recycle your scrap metal, vehicles, and electronics here at Always Buying Scrap! Our scrap yard always buys old cars, electronic scrap, metal, wire, and more! Contact us to find out more about what to do with your old stuff.
Complete the form below to contact us about scrap metal or our scrap yard.